AVENGER CONCOURSE BULLETIN BOARD

NEW TECHNOLOGICAL BREAKTHROUGHS
REPORTED BY CORPORATE DIVISION!

Research personnel at Dagger Engineering Systems PLT facility in the Aurora System...
(Photo: TIE Fighter CD, LucasArts, 1995)

diligent efforts of the Corporate Division have finally begun paying dividends to the Fleet. Not only are many new Corporate Picket Fleet Fighters being designed and produced, but with this issue of the Dark Sentinel, the Fleet Commander proudly announces two exciting new developments recently reported by Dagger Engineering Systems (DEC).

First, thanks to the efforts of CEO/Dan/DEC, the Emperor's Hammer mission designers can now edit the fighters in TIE CD so that the previously posted EH Fighters (NL #23) and new prototypes can be used in TIE Fighter CD. New versions of TIECD fighter editors (i.e. UGE based) are being developed as you read this Newsletter. However, please refer to the File Archives Section of this Newsletter for preliminary edited fighters that have already been previously posted.

Second, once again, CEO/Dan/DEC has provided us with another monumental technological breakthrough. We now have the capability to edit inflight graphics for fighters played in TIE Fighter (disk version). This will include new fighters (such as DEC's TIE Sphere, attached to this NL) and old favorites, like the Rebel XWings and AWings...Both CEO Shekinah and CEO Dan have submitted updated files for this NL. It is HIGHLY recommended that all readers review them.

For his recent technological advancements, CEO/Dan/DEC is to be awarded the Imperial Cross, an almost unheard of honor to be bestowed upon non-EH pilots. In addition, CEO/AD Shekinah/SW will receive entrance into the honored Grand Order of the Emperor for taking some of CEEO Dan's work and expanding on it (especially the TIE Guardian for TIE Fighter CD...:) The recent work of DEC and Shadow Works is a credit to the Imperial Navy.

PG/Pendragon/Aurora

Aurora

Part I

The offices of the ISB on the Imperial Academy Planet of Cadria were small compared to those of their other installations. Yet, they were now the largest of all active bases in the Imperium, the communication network having fallen into inexcusable disarray. Outside the towering structure, now serving as the Bureau's headquarters, a tall man with brown hair and green eyes (obscured by tinted glasses), appeared out of a chauffeured military car. He entered, and was immediately required to enter his authorization.

"Pendragon, Julius Latimer. Imperial Security Bureau, Code# 1290-ISBRA- 99012. Authorization Very Top Secret, Matters of Imperial Security"

"Welcome to Imperial Security Bureau Headquarters. Authorization Confirmed. Welcome, Agent Pendragon."

He then walked to the desk, confirming his appointment with Moff Grangaric, Director of the ISB. The high speed lift took him to the very top of the hundred-story building, home to the most powerful organization in the Empire... Or at least what WAS the most important organization in the Empire...

"The Moff will see you now, sir."

"Thank you."

Pendragon moved into the office, where the Moff sat behind his enormous walnut desk, his uniform adorned by medals and decorations. He look imposing even sitting... He also looked worried.

"Please sit down." Said the Moff

"Thank you."

"I understand you have decided to retire, Rear Admiral."

"I have. Things have been getting a little out of hand, and I'm not as young as I once was. All those missions take their toll."

"I understand perfectly. I have an assignment that might be more to your liking."

"And what would that be, Sir?"

"I will need your voice designation first..."

"Understood", he took the caller and spoke into the computer, "P-E-N-D-R-A-G-O-N, Io-Sugar-Beta-Roger-Alpha"

"Thank you. What I want you to do is somewhat 'delicate'. One of our operatives, the ISB liaison to the Emperor's Hammer, has informed us of their conquest of a new region... The Aurora Sector. Unfortunately, they need someone to actually GOVERN the planet. Seeing as you will be a civilian effective tomorrow, you are appointed... Should you choose to accept of course."

"I'm not the governing type, sir. But thank you for your consideration. Am I dismissed?"

"Julius, you must understand... We need a loyal agent in power. We must establish a location to fall back on should the Empire be defeated."

"That is a treasonous statement, my dear Moff! How could you say such a thing!"

"IT IS THE TRUTH! We are being beaten back on every front other than that one. The Emperor's Hammer is the only one of our fleets that has not been beaten back. We must surge forward, and we need capable civilian leadership."

"So find someone else. The one way I don't want to spend my retirement is on some backwater planet. I will not be the one that establishes work camps and destroys cities. I will not be the Imperial scapegoat for the terror patrols and the terrorists that they create. I will not be the one responsible for a dead world. I will not be king of a poisoned realm!"

"We see the error of those ways. We are the Empire. We will never be the most fair of societies, but it is still in our best interests to maintain a semblance of order and keep the people happy."

"That still doesn't have me convinced."

"Do you know what the rebel Leia told Grand Moff Tarkin before the Death Star blew up?"

"No. Nor do I have the desire to know."

"She said 'The more you tighten your grip, the more planets will slip through your fingers'... in the current situation it would seem that this is true. We must find a new way to govern, and you must be that way. You are the only agent I have available, and your retired. Can't you see the situation we're in? We need loyal planets as much as we need an Emperor."

"Very well, I will take the job. What are the specifics?"

"You will take you personal shuttle to the planet and there you will establish a government and an economy. You will answer to the Fleet Commander of the Emperor's Hammer only. You have complete control over the system, with the exception of the moon Eos, which you do control, but I wouldn't advise you to order the Dark Lord of the Sith and Grand Master of the Brotherhood around!"

"I will leave as soon as I can pack sir" said Pendragon as he rose to leave, stiff after the long conversation.

"One more thing, Julius... Your promotion came through yesterday. You are a Vice Admiral-ISB now. For all the good it does you. Good Luck!"

With that, Vice Admiral Pendragon, ISB (Ret.) departed from ISB HQ, gathered his things and took a shuttle on the long ride to Aurora, the Emperor's Hammer, and his planet.

Part II

"This is the Governor's Shuttle. We request permission to land as soon as possible. Over"

"Roger. We are transmitting code now"

After a wait of some time, the Avenger radioed back to the Shuttle. The shuttle was tractored in to the massive landing bay, where it was met by a small detachment of Stormtroopers known as the "Hammer's Fist". They didn't look like they meant to be ordered around by a retired Vice Admiral who hadn't even commanded a ship in all of his years in service. Even worse, he was ISB.

"Follow me, sir," The very words of the troopers commander (he wasn't sure of the rank... It wasn't standard Imperial... Legatus or some such nonsense.) signaled their contempt for the newest member of the Hammer's "family". So much for hospitality.

"Very well. I trust you will be taking me to see the Grand Admiral."

"No. he has no time for a mere planetary governor. He is in a meeting with the CO's. You will go and see the Bridge officer, Lt. Mathee."

"I'm afraid that that will not do at all. Please take me to the Grand Admiral or his Executive officer. I am a direct representative of the Imperial Government, not a messenger boy."

"Those are not my orders, sir."

"Who gave you the orders, trooper?"

"Commander Porridf, the Detachment commander."

"Do you realize that I am a Vice Admiral"

"You are retired, sir." With that, it all hit the fan. As a member of the ISB, Julius Pendragon was not used to being ignored.

"I DON'T CARE! YOU WILL TAKE ME TO THE GRAND ADMIRAL AT ONCE!!! I DON'T CARE WHERE HE IS, WHO HE IS MEETING, OR WHAT YOU ORDERS ARE! TAKE ME TO HIM BEFORE I RIP YOUR HEAD OFF AND DEFACATE IN THE HOLE" The governor then swore fluently and vehemently at the stormtrooper before him. The tirade would have impressed a space marine, and the troopers had never heard a civilian speak to them in such a matter.

"Very well. Come with me."

The Grand Admiral's office was at the very end of the massive structure, looking out over space from the prow of the ship, it's massive clear metal windows allowing a stunning view of the stars. The rooms long conference table was surrounded by the Command Officers of the EH. The Grand Admiral was seated at the head of the table, with the officers seated in descending order of rank on his right side. At the other end of the table, directly across for the Grand Admiral sat the Grand Master of the Dark Brotherhood, Lord Paladin. To the Grand Master's right (the Grand Admiral's left) sat the Commodore of the Avenger, the Commander of the IW, the Commandant of PLT Deadalus, and several other important members. Directly to the left of the Grand Admiral was a vacant seat. Ronin was the first to speak,

"Welcome to Avenger, Governor Pendragon. We are honored that you can join us. Lt. Mahee was instructed to send you here, but apparently you never reached him... Strange, as our Stormtroopers usually follow orders implicitly. Sit down."

"Thank you, I am honored to be here." The Governor took the vacant seat at the table. Looking around him, he could tell that there was truly a war on here. These men had the same look that he had on a mission. The look was a mixture of confidence, swagger, and a little bit of fear. Nothing they did gave a hint that they had a firm grasp of the mortality of their situation. "But I didn't think about it either" thought Pendragon.

"Well, it would appear that our newest colleague arrived just in time. The next issue on the Agenda is the Aurora System. Do you have anything to say, PG."

"I have only had time to make a brief inspection tour of the planet. I can tell you that the economy is in a shambles, the military is nonexistent, and there is no government whatsoever. Total anarchy. My first act has been to declare martial law. I have ordered the planet's garrison to land and begin to restore order in the largest city, which we will use as a Capital. Following that, we will find and subdue a suitable city for the Shadow Academy. It is entirely possible that the planet will be civil within the week."

"And the populace?" asked Sector Admiral Adams, the Hammer XO.

"To be truthful, they are a beaten people. I feel that they will soon accept Imperial rule. There will be little problem finding men and supplies here."

"What about the PLT's and civilian shipping?" this question came from one of the Corporation heads at the meeting.

"Mostly they were destroyed. There are many small craft remaining, as well as the PLTs, but the major shipping is decimated. As to the platforms... One has been commandeered by my people to serve as a prison and interrogation site for the time it takes to pacify the planet. You may have it then. The others are ripe for corporate use."

"Are you willing to stake your life on these assumptions?" this came from the Grand Master, sending a chill down Pendragon's spine.

"Yes, I am."

"I think that that will be all, Gentlemen." said the Grand Admiral, "You are all dismissed. Governor, stay here."

The people filed out and the GA and PG were left alone in the huge room. The feeling of a new era in the Imperium was inescapable.