On September 22, 1998 the regularly scheduled Emperor’s Hammer IRC meeting was preempted by a most momentous event. Michael A. Stackpole, author of the first four X-Wing novels and the recent hit I, Jedi, paid the Fleet a visit to be interviewed. The following is a transcription of that interview, edited for ease of reading. 

BC: At the opening of his first Star Wars novel, Rogue Squadron, Michael A. Stackpole established himself as something rarely seen in modern literature: a fan of his subject. With his painstakingly precise description of "The Redemption Scenario" from the original X-Wing computer game, he not only tied the game into the greater continuity of the Star Wars novels, but he gave readers a first taste of just how glorious piloting a starfighter can be. 

Although most Star Wars authors focus solely on the Rebel side of things, Mr. Stackpole is one of the few to show things through the eyes of an Imperial - Baron Soontir Fel. Fel is one of the few Imperial "villains" who has been portrayed as true Imperials should be: with a strong sense of honor and loyalty. 

Ladies, officers and gentlemen, please join me in welcoming the very talented Mr. Michael A. Stackpole. 

BC: I'm afraid I have to start with the obvious: how did you get chosen to write a series of Star Wars novels? 

MS: Thanks for that great introduction. My mom must have called you. 

BC: LOL 

MS: I had a contract for some fantasy novels with Bantam when they picked up the X-wing license. They needed a writer who could work fast, was familiar with games and computer games, could write well and could write in someone else's universe while doing military SF. 

BC: Which you had proven you could do with your BattleTech novels.

MS: Because of my BattleTech work and computer game work, they knew I could fit the bill. They sent books of mine (Once a Hero and Assumption of Risk) to LFL, and LFL gave me a green light. My agent and I had been angling for one book, and we got four. 

BC: You've said that your association with the X-Wing comics dates back to July, 1994. Can you provide us a little more information on how you ended up writing the series? 

MS: Liz Danforth and I went up to Skywalker Ranch to meet folks there in July of 1994. Lucy Wilson asked if I'd ever done comic work. I said I wanted to, but none of my deals had worked out. She made a note and three months or so later I got a call from Dark Horse. They wanted plots, I got to tie stuff to the novels and we were in hog heaven.

After 5 storyarcs my editor figured I deserved a shot at scripting, so the "Emperor's Service" plotline became mine to script.  

BC: The series started off with some less-than-stellar scripting by another writer. Then you began scripting your own plots, and now you've scripted Tim Zahn's plots for the Mara Jade comic series. How has this (mini-)evolution as a writer, if at all, affected your writing? 

MS: Well comics are a very visual medium, so I had to learn a new way of writing. In comics you can do things you can't do in a novel, and vice Versa. In comics, most characterization comes from dialog or art, very little internal dialog stuff works. Basically I've added a new arrow to the quiver. 

BC: You and Zahn have collaborated on a few projects; the Mara Jade series and the Side Trip novella probably being the most noted to date. How does working with another writer differ from working alone (editors notwithstanding)? 

MS: Working with Tim is a blast, since we work very similarly. We toss stuff back and forth, getting another perspective, which pushes both of us to work harder and do cool things. Tim writes characters I would never create, but in learning to write with them, I have to push myself.

In Side Trip, the Thrawn/Corran scene was an absolute blast to do. And we're working on another story like that, "Encounter at Darkknell" that should be in a Bantam Anthology next year. 

BC: Did you have any difficulties handing over the reins of the X-Wing books to Aaron Allston for 3 novels? 

MS: Nope, not at all. Aaron's been a friend of mine for years and I love his work. I knew another writer would do 3 of the books (while I did I, JEDI) and then I learned it was to be Aaron. He's an ace writer and I was overjoyed he got the shot at doing the books. Nice thing was that I knew I could trust him to put his all into it, which he did. 

BC: You're returning to the Rebel pilots for the eighth, and presumably final, book in the X-Wing series. Can you give us a hint of what it'll be about? 

MS: The book is titled Isard's Revenge and if you read between the lines in I, JEDI you know that the Rogues (among many) finally rescue Jan Dodonna and the other prisoners from the Lusankya. You'll see characters from the comics and Aaron's books in this one. I'm working on it now, and it's a lot of fun. Some folks have concluded from the title that Isard is alive, which they are welcome to do. Then again, her reaching out from beyond the grave is something I love playing with. 

BC: And the Rebels capture the Lusankya, as shown in the Dark Horse comicbook series Crimson Empire

MS: Well, the NR got it in The Bacta War. They put it back together for Crimson Empire

BC: What prompted you to create the character of Soontir Fel? 

MS: What prompted Fel's creation? We had the Rise of Isard storyline in mind when my editor shot me a not saying, "Maybe we could do an Imperial Red Baron." I liked the idea. I created Fel, then Tim Zahn called on the phone. I told him I'd just created the best TIE Fighter pilot ever and he said, "Yeah, what's his name. I can use him." We worked out Fel's life beginning to end at that point, and Fel just burst onto the scene. It was really cool. Then folks started asking about TIE Fighter stories and Tim and Peet Janes and I just grinned, knowing what was coming up. 

BC: He's definitely been an inspiration to us TIE Fighter junkies. 

BC: I must admit I was greatly surprised when Fel offered his services to the Rebellion in the X-Wing comicbook. Even though subsequent stories (i.e. the Wraith Squadron and Iron Fist novels) reveal his "return" to Imperial service, his "return" has yet to be shown. Will the actual events leading up to this be revealed? 

MS: Fel is a complex character, really, and was tough to write. I think you'll find things are even more complex than the X-wing novels suggest, as you will see in forthcoming books. As for the story of his return to Imperial service (if, in fact, that's what's happened), I think that's something for future comic stories, as we get room to do them. I know what the story is, but I want the right place to tell it. Tim and I have been kicking around some Thrawn/Fel storylines that would be fun to play with, too. 

BC: Lucasfilm permitting, I REALLY hope we get to see that. 

MS: Yeah, LFL permitting, I hope we do, too. :) The thing about Fel is this: he IS honorable and intelligent, and there comes a point where the contradictions in the Empire force a decision. He chose to leave the Empire that he felt had betrayed him. Others don't make that choice, or haven't made it yet. 

BC: Or they join the Emperor's Hammer, the home of honorable Imperials. :-j 

MS: Ah, yes, the third option. 

<GA_Ronin> LOL 

BC: You've said before that you find Imperial characters uninteresting, with few exceptions; Fel and Grand Admiral Thrawn, I believe, were the two you stated. What is it about Imperial characters that you find boring? 

MS: That's not what I said, actually. 

* FACompton hates it when he gets a quote wrong... 

MS: The fact is, though, that the most interesting story about an Imperial character involves his/her struggle with this inherent order versus evil nature of the Empire. Without that sort of internal struggle and growth, Imperial stories pretty much boil down to "What the Auschwitz Guards did on their summer vacation." I know that's a gross generalization, and there are plenty of evil folks for Imperials to fight against. But, against the backdrop of the Rebellion, this choice of staying or leaving is the most dramatic of stories. 

BC: One more question before we open the floor to everyone...

BC: Speaking of Thrawn, you and Timothy Zahn were originally scheduled to co-write a comicbook series for Dark Horse. This series was intended to "fill in the gaps" between Zahn's novels Specter of the Past and Vision of the Future before it was decided there weren't enough gaps to fill. Were there any elements left out of the proposed series that didn't make it into the novels? 

MS: What the problem was that No one told Tim he was supposed to leave loose threads for the comics to handle. Tim is a tight writer, so there weren’t any to use.

MS: suffice it to say, though, that nothing that's been approved by LFL will go to waste, which means we have some very cool stuff coming up. 

<GA_Ronin> ok...

<GA_Ronin> FA Compton...thank you for your outstanding list of questions

* FACompton blushes.

<GA_Ronin> what will happen next is that attendees will simply msg Jammin to be voiced to ask personal questions

<GA_Ronin> again, please no profanity, be respectful, and DON'T ask previously asked questions...:)

<GA_Ronin> Jammin, the floor is yours...

<Jammin> thank you...

<Jammin> some basic rules first...

<Jammin> msg me only asking to be voiced.. not the question... :)

<Jammin> and please make sure you are not repeating a question that has already been asked...

<Jammin> alright then.. let's go.. :)

<MG_Horn> Good morning/evening Mr. Stackpole! What pieces of fiction are you currently working on, or are going to work on in the near future? 

MS: Right now I'm writing Isard's Revenge. After that I've got a fantasy novel to do, The Dark Glory War and a couple other things that I can't talk about because of contracts.

Oh, I will be doing a serial story tied to the game Crimson Skies. Check my website for a link to it when things get set up.

*** Jammin sets mode: +v RS_Lefty 

<RS_Lefty> Hello Mr. Stackpole I, Jedi filled a few holes in the Corran Horn story, do you have any plans of developing other Rogues more completely? 

MS: The other Rogues will get developed in the course of new novels, yes. There won't be another novel that focuses solely on one of them, no. I, Jedi was a special case where Bantam and LFL and I wanted to see if we could elevate a novel character to the second tier of characters in the universe. We'll know it worked if you see a Corran Horn action figure. (I'd love one of him and Fel, actually.) 

<Baron_Fel> Where is Baron actually born and how did he come into Inperial service to begin with? and are you going to follow up I, Jedi with the story of Corran and Mirax having children? 

MS: Actually, Fel's life is fully spelled out in X-wing issue #25. He is a Corellian Native, born and bred, and got an appointment to the academy at Carida through the influence of his father's employer. If you check Tim Zahn's Specter of the Past, you'll see Corran and Mirax DO have a child. 

<BG_Harkov> Thanks for taking time to visit with us today. My question is of the X-Wing series books, which one do you think was your best work or did you enjoy writing the most? 

MS: Good question. I guess I like The Bacta War the best because it was so much more fun and easier to write than Krytos. Prior to that, though, Wedge's Gamble was my fav. All the books have scenes I really love, though, so picking a favorite really tough. 

<MG_Horn> Thank you for coming Mr. Stackpole! Do you feel that the change to Wraith Squadron in the X-Wing novels was a good change or do you think that the Rogue story should have continued for another novel? 

MS: I think it would have been tough for any other writer to pick up the Rogues and done them to the satisfaction of the readers. I think having the Wraiths there and using them to expand the universe was a very good thing -- it means there are even more folks actually working beyond the magnificent Seven. <g> As it is, the Rogue Story does continue for another novel: Isard's Revenge

<GA_Ronin> I have a quick question... Mr. Stackpole... I have noticed some SW novelists are more Web savvy than others. Has this affected your works and publicity? 

MS: I guess that assumes I'm one of the web-savvy ones. Ah, having the web around has been great. I get a lot of feedback and can inform folks about stuff in one place. Prior to that getting information out was tough. I really like the web and doing chats like this. It's like going to a con without having to log the air miles. 

BC: If you were a high-ranking, incredibly handsome Imperial officer such as myself, what would you do to help make the Empire a better place? 

<GA_Ronin> heh, heh...:) 

MS: Tough question. Timeframe? 

BC: Lemme see, the EH is currently about 6 months after the fall of Coruscant to the Rebellion. 

MS: Okay, about the time Pestage goes away and Isard rises? In that timeframe I'd pull a Bel Iblis, set myself up as a Warlord, and hire myself out to the New Republic to break up other nasty Warlords. 

<GA_Ronin> good advice...:) 

MS: I'd build a power base among the other ex-Imperials and make sure the citizenry under our control were protected from the excesses of folks like Isard. 

<RS_Lefty> Mr Stackpole, I as a reader have noticed that some characters have changed a lot since the movies. (ex.: Luke Skywalker has settled down and become a great Jedi Master instead of a careless boy.) In your opinion, as a Star Wars writer, are these changes a plus or do they make the Star Wars Universe bland? 

MS: In my opinion, those changes, when handled well, are the spice of the universe. the trick is that not everything is handled well. I think stories are about characters, about how they grow and change. If that change is logical and interesting, then the universe kicks butt. If writers fail to make the changes make sense or exciting, things do get bland, yes. Me, I like to do things right. I think you'll find that my I, Jedi and Tim Zahn's last two novels make a great trilogy of change. 

<FA_Bull> Afternoon, Mr. Stackpole. Which characters do you like more or feel are more interesting? The one's in the Rogue Squadron Series or the one's in the Wraith Squadron Series? And who is your favorite character in the X-Wing series so far (that's not Corran)? 

MS: Um, I'd have to say I like my stuff more than Aaron's but only marginally. I love Aaron's writing, but he's not me, which is why my stuff suits me better. As for fav non-Corran characters: Tycho, Wedge, Iella, Ooryl and Gavin Darklighter. And Baron Fel, of course. 

<CM_Viett> Hello Mr Stackpole, I LOVE your Books on Tapes. But I have one question. Do you plan to write a book that veers more towards the Imperial Side than the rebel side? 

MS: I can only write the books I am invited to write. In the comics I've been able to explore more of the Imperial side of stuff. Until I'm asked to write TIE Fighter books, though, the focus will be on Rebel pilots. That's what they pay me to do. Since Del Rey now owns the license for SW novels, it will be up to them what happens. I have been talking with them and am very optimistic for the future of the line. 

<Gauntlet> Mr. Stackpole, what inspired you to do such an original and interesting character like Ooryl? 

MS: I wanted a character who was non-human and I liked the look of Gands. LFL told me almost nothing was known about them and to have fun. Ooryl just grew on me. I think the 3rd person thing was a key part of it. It seemed right and gave me a focus for the character's growth. 

<LG_Mav> Do you get to choose if famous characters such as Skywalker, Admiral Ackbar and others live or die? Or are you told by your publisher or someone like that? 

MS: We can certainly ask if it's okay to kill certain characters, but the Mag-7 are off limits. Since my books are all set BEFORE other novels, that limits who I can or cannot kill, so a lot of times I knew better than to ask. 

<BG_Harkov> Though no one but G. Lucas knows, how much of an affect, in you opinion, do you think the prequels will have on the novels based on events after ROTJ as far as continuity is concerned? 

MS: I wish I knew how to answer that. I don't. I can't even begin to guess. (and, boy, is the implant throbbing now!) 

<Jax> Greetings Mr. Stackpole. What are you suggestions for future writers? 

MS: My suggestions for future writers are the following:

1) buy and read Orson Scott Card's CHARACTERS AND VIEWPOINT.

2) Write in your own universe. Writing your first stories in someone else's universe is like learning to play basketball on an 8 foot rim -- you'll learn some stuff, but you won't make it into the NBA, and that's the goal here.

3) Actually write. Most folks want to be writers and never do the hard work. Then they never submit it. If you want to write, write and never give up. Persistence counts as much as talent or luck in this biz. 

BC: You've dedicated (at least in part) one of your books to the indoor soccer players you've competed with and against, for showing you what it's like to be in combat. Which would you rather face: an Imperial Star Destroyer in an X-Wing or an LA soccer team barefoot? 

MS: Hell, give me the X-wing. 

<SV^Mav> Hello Mr Stackpole. I understand You Wrote the X-Wing Series, I, Jedi, and the Battle Tech "Warrior" Series. Have you written anything else? Do you plan on continuing these series? Or starting others? And Welcome back to our monotonous questions ;) 

MS: As of December I'll have 27 novels in print. On my website <www.flyingbuffalo.com/stackpol.htm> I actually have a list of all the novels I've written. And, yes, as long as folks pay me, I'll keep writing. 

BC: Do the words "Imperial Glee Club" mean anything to you? 

MS: Nope, but I'm shivering all the same. 

BC: LOL On a more serious note... let's talk about Leonia Tavira for a moment. She first appeared in the Rogue Squadron comicbooks looking almost like a little girl wearing daddy's Navy uniform. When presented as the villain of I, Jedi she's an alluring, if slightly impish, nymphomaniac. What led you to create this character, and did you always intend for her to evolve the way she did? 

MS: Tavira just worked out well from the start of a gold-digger with a lethal bent, so her evolution kind of made sense. I was happy to use her in I, Jedi since I had a background with her. As for her nymphomania, that's overstated. She IS beautiful, though, and has healthy appetites. <g>

I wanted to use her in IJ to face Corran with the classic choice: do I sleep with someone to save someone else? In Romance novels it happens all the time. I wanted to see how a male character would handle it. 

BC: I've found that in the novels, many high-ranking Imperials seem to just give up or go insane and thwart their own plans. Could this be due to the excessively tight collars of the uniforms? 

MS: Oh, I think that's it, definitely. :) That's what they get for letting Vader do the fashion consulting. 

<SV_Martyr> When you write about an antagonist, such as an Imperial Officer, what is the character trait that most often leads to their downfall? 

MS: It depends, but all of them tend to have a streak of hubris -- they think they're so good and smart that they can't fail. I love seeing that be proved wrong. And I should note, Corran falls prey to that sort of thing, too; hence the lightsaber scene/disaster in The Bacta War. The trick is that Corran tends to learn from his mistakes eventually. :) 

BC: Finally, How does it feel to know that your name will now and forever be preceded by the words "New York Times best-selling author"? 

MS: It's cool, but it makes it hell for writing my name on the band in my underwear! 

<FA_Bull> LOL

BC: LOL

<AD_Thrawn> LMAO 

<GA_Ronin> Compton...your closing comments? 

BC: Mr. Stackpole, speaking on behalf of the Emperor's Hammer, I thank you for taking the time to visit with us today. Your books and comics have done an incredible job of fleshing out the Star Wars galaxy with a level of excellence that few others have been able to accomplish. Thanks again for spending time with us, and may the Dark Side be with you! :-j

MS: Thanks very, ah, darkly? 

<GA_Ronin> heh, heh... And my thanks to Mr. Stackpole for coming to the meeting and to FA Compton and Jammin for their assistance in hosting this WELL-RUN meeting (for once everyone behaved...:) 

For the complete transcript of this interview, including the free-meeting session afterwards, please see elsewhere in this NL.