Opening Comments - News - Site of the Week - Projects
Task List - Contact the IO - IO Links - Closing Comments
Task List - Contact the IO - IO Links - Closing Comments
Internet Office Weekly Report #3 - 14 March 2005Another week goes by in the Internet Office, however not an uneventful one. Firstly I would like to apologise for the lateness of my report, this shall not become a trend. I have finished my audit of http://emperorshammer.org/, expect some interesting announcements regarding this soon. Unfortunately I am the bearer of bad news for the Emperor's Hammer, in particular webmasters of certain sites. The Minos webhosting solution is becoming unstable for regular use by Emperor's Hammer members. I strongly recommend that people find alternate hosting arrangements in the near future. In line with my views that sites need to be more closely monitored for news updates, quality content and so links don't get out of date, I'm setting up an Emperor's Hammer Link Database. ALL Emperor's Hammer (including all subgroup sites) will be required to submit their site to this database. The information required will be:
- Name of the Site
- The link to the site
- Subgroup it Pertains to
- Unit type (Squadron, Battleteam, Wing etc.)
- What units it falls under (eg. Odin Squadron is on Wing XIII of the ISD Greywolf in the Aggressor Strike Force in the Emperor's Hammer TIE Corps Strike Fleet.
- The current webmaster/maintainer of the site.
- The commanding officer of the unit
- Any and all scripting and database technologies it employs.
NewsThe emperorshammer.org audit has been completed by me over the weekend, quite a hefty document as it ends up at around 100 pages long.
Site of the WeekOnce again, no submissions for IO Site of the Week, come on people! I shall be browsing for my own candidates soon. However I still ask you, the membership of the Emperor's Hammer, to submit sites that you believe are worthy of a site of the week award. To qualify as site of the week, a site should look alright (doesn't need uber graphics to win though), have plenty of relevant information about the particular unit or function, and is updated regularly.
Internet Office Projects
- Operation: Audit
To maintain the high standard expected of Emperor's Hammer websites, I will be running a continual audit of all Emperor's Hammer websites. I will post the schedule of the next week's audits on here and on the soon to be up audit site. No EH site will be exempt from this audit. Sites will be checked periodically (approximately once every 6 months) for link integrity (broken/outdated links etc), layout quality and content as well as regular news updates.As early as next week I will be displaying a list of sites that will be receiving an audit in the following week. Please check here each week to see if your site is scheduled for an audit. Progress Update:
- http://emperorshammer.org/: Audit Complete.
- Talk to the IO
I want to receive feedback from as many members of the Emperor's Hammer as possible over the coming weeks. You can email me with comments at email@example.com or chat with me on IRC on Undernet in #emperor's_hammer or #tiecorps, PM me as Lenvik or Iodine (or variants of those nicks). I would like to know what you've thought of IO Projects in the past, what you liked and what you didn't, where you would like the EH Internet Office to head in the future, and any and all ideas you have. Progress Update:
- No feedback this week. I would appreciate if anyone with feedback to talk to me via email or IRC.
- Imperial Senate Site Recode
I am currently recoding the official site of the Imperial Senate subgroup of the Emperor's Hammer. Progress thus far includes the news system, dossier records, ID Line generator and I've started on the roster system.
- Project: Condor Datapad
Can't share much on this except that I'm coding the datapad for Project: Condor. I put this here because Khadgar made me. :P
Internet Office Tasks List 2005
- Image Archive: The Image Archive will be re-released in the coming months.
- HoloNet awards: The HoloNet awards will be in May, if things go according to schedule. Look forward to some new categories for your site to win.
- Open sourcing IO projects: Most future Internet Office projects will be open source, ie. the source code will be available to download.
- More member-orientated projects: More on this soon. I shall be reviewing and making suggestions regarding the IO IWATS courses to Stuart and his related PROFs.
- Expansion and addition on projects that help members become more skilled about web design such as the Code Archive: The next release of SquadFirst will be modular, allowing PHP enthusiasts to write extra or updated functions for SquadFirst and upload them to a repositry of SquadFirst mods. Interested users will be able to download these and copy the file in and add the addition using the control panel of squadfirst. Also in the next version of SquadFirst will be a better install interface.
- Updating of SquadFirst code to take into account the new TIE Corps site URL: SquadFirst will receive an update soon including modularity (as above) and updated functions and links.
- Coordinate with Communication and Executive Offices in porting ELS system to ASP: Task suspended indefinetly.
Contact the Internet OfficeFeel free to contact me relating any Internet Office related issues you may have, including ideas and feedback etc (see Talk to the IO project). You can contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org via email, or with the nicks Lenvik or Iodine (or a variant of the aforementioned nicks) on most official EH channels on UnderNet. An Internet Office site shall be up soon where feedback can be given.
Internet Office LinksSome new links coming soon.
Closing CommentsPlease participate in the IO feedback competition so as I can tailor projects to EH needs. Prepare your sites for auditing, and prepare for lots of useful and fun IO projects in the near future!
Internet Officer Vice Admiral Lenvik
IO/VA Lenvik/CS-5/SSSD Sovereign