Opening Comments - News - Site of the Week - Projects
Task List - Contact the IO - IO Links - Closing Comments
Task List - Contact the IO - IO Links - Closing Comments
Internet Office Weekly Report #1 - 26 February 2005Greetings members of the Emperor's Hammer. My name is Lenvik and I address you as the newly appointed Internet Officer of the Emperor's Hammer. I would like to take this opportunity to thank GA Astatine for appointing me to this position. I hope I shall be able to bring lots of new and interesting ideas and services to the Emperor's Hammer during my tenure in this position. The Internet Office shall be reformed over the coming weeks to provide the best possible opportunities for the membership. As such, I am opening the position of Internet Officer Assistant for Web Site Layout. Applications will close within a week or two, and applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Excellent ability in creation of web site graphics.
- Able to work on call to create graphics layouts for Internet Office sites and other EH sites on call and to specification.
- Easy to work with, good communication skills.
NewsMy first week as Internet Officer brings much news. Operation: Audit has begun, in which all sites in the Emperor's Hammer will be subject to an official audit. Details of this are in the projects section. An Internet Office site will be constructed soon. Other projects I am currently working on are the Imperial Senate site recode and the Project: Condor Datapad. As far as Operation: Audit is concerned, I've been auditing the official EH Domain (located at http://emperorshammer.org). There will be some interesting news regarding this site in the coming weeks.
Site of the WeekNo site of the week this week as it is my first week as Internet Officer. I ask you, the membership of the Emperor's Hammer, to submit sites that you believe are worthy of a site of the week award. To qualify as site of the week, a site should look alright (doesn't need uber graphics to win though), have plenty of relevant information about the particular unit or function, and is updated regularly.
Internet Office Projects
- Operation: Audit
To maintain the high standard expected of Emperor's Hammer websites, I will be running a continual audit of all Emperor's Hammer websites. I will post the schedule of the next week's audits on here and on the soon to be up audit site. No EH site will be exempt from this audit. Sites will be checked periodically (approximately once every 6 months) for link integrity (broken/outdated links etc), layout quality and content as well as regular news updates.
- Talk to the IO
I want to receive feedback from as many members of the Emperor's Hammer as possible over the coming weeks. You can email me with comments at email@example.com or chat with me on IRC on Undernet in #emperor's_hammer or #tiecorps, PM me as Lenvik or Iodine (or variants of those nicks). I would like to know what you've thought of IO Projects in the past, what you liked and what you didn't, where you would like the EH Internet Office to head in the future, and any and all ideas you have.
- Imperial Senate Site Recode
I am currently recoding the official site of the Imperial Senate subgroup of the Emperor's Hammer. Progress thus far includes the news system, dossier records, ID Line generator and I've started on the roster system.
- Project: Condor Datapad
Can't share much on this except that I'm coding the datapad for Project: Condor. I put this here because Khadgar made me. :P
Internet Office Tasks List 2004/2005
- Image Archive: The Image Archive will be re-released in the coming months.
- Holonet awards: The HoloNet awards will be in May, if things go according to schedule. Look forward to some new categories for your site to win.
- Open sourcing IO projects: Most future Internet Office projects will be open source, ie. the source code will be available to download.
- More member-orientated projects: More on this soon. I shall be reviewing and making suggestions regarding the IO IWATS courses to Stuart and his related PROFs.
- Expansion and addition on projects that help members become more skilled about web design such as the Code Archive: The next release of SquadFirst will be modular, allowing PHP enthusiasts to write extra or updated functions for SquadFirst and upload them to a repositry of SquadFirst mods. Interested users will be able to download these and copy the file in and add the addition using the control panel of squadfirst.
- Updating of SquadFirst code to take into account the new TIE Corps site URL: SquadFirst will receive an update soon including modularity (as above) and updated functions and links.
- Coordinate with Communication and Executive Offices in porting ELS system to ASP: Suspended; pending review.
Contact the Internet OfficeFeel free to contact me relating any Internet Office related issues you may have, including ideas and feedback etc (see Talk to the IO project). You can contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org via email, or with the nicks Lenvik or Iodine (or a variant of the aforementioned nicks) on most official EH channels on UnderNet. An Internet Office site shall be up soon where feedback can be given.
Internet Office Links
- http://minos.net/ - MinosNIC
- http://els.minos.net/ - EHNet Login System
- http://mb.emperorshammer.net/ - EH Message Boards
- http://ehnet.org/ - Internet Office
- http://ehnet.org/guidelines.php - EH Web Site Guidlines
- http://squadfirst.minos.net/ - SquadFirst Squadron Template
- http://ehnet.org/xps/ - eXtensible Polling System
- http://ehnet.org/ca/ - IO Code Archive
- http://ehlibrary.minos.net/ - EH Library
- http://code.minos.net/ - EH Code Collaboration
- http://bannerx.ehnet.org/ - EH Banner Exchange
- http://counters.minos.net/ - EH Counter Service
Closing CommentsPlease participate in the IO feedback competition so as I can tailor projects to EH needs. Prepare your sites for auditing, and prepare for lots of useful and fun IO projects in the near future!
Internet Officer Vice Admiral Lenvik
IO/VA Lenvik/CS-5/SSSD Sovereign